While teaching PSLE Essay Writing, I realised that many students do not know the proper grammar rules for writing dialogue between characters. Here are some common mistakes I see. Please take a look at the following dialogue and see if you can spot the mistakes. The answers are attached in a file below.
1. Darwin said “hey let’s go to the arcade today!”
2. Darwin shouted ” do you want to play soccer or basketball!”
3. “Brock Lesnar is the best wrestler in the world.” John said.
4. “Brock Lesnar is the best wrestler in the world.” He said.
5. “Hey,” Sally said. “why aren’t you in school?”
6. “Hey,” Sally said, “Why aren’t you in school?”
7. “Don’t be such a sore loser,” my teacher chided, “go and shake hands with them.”
Try spotting the mistakes, then cross check your answers here.
(Your child is also probably making these 8 common grammar mistakes for PSLE composition writing.)
By Jerry lee
Intellicat Tuition School